Tuesday, 1 April 2014

How to paint and things floral

A snippet of my painting at this years SBA show


Hello lovely people, my new project on painting a white Lily (Lilium longiflorum) is live on the subscription site subscribe.billyshowell.com I just need to tell you that the drawing part has been reshot and will have a drawing demo that you will be able to see! this will be added asap and is a lesson learned for me.
On all things floral
There are 2 wonderful Shows coming up which if you visit you should. The first is the Big SBA show (The Society of Botanical Artists) a wonderful show of all thing botanical covering mostly botanical illustration but also a wide variety of top floral painters, jewellers, glass engravers, miniatures and new this year silk sculpture and collage held at the Westminster Central Hall, Storeys Gate London SW1H 9NH 9th -18th May 11am-5pm including Sundays Wheelchair access and cafe available.
The next Show is the SFP (The Society of Floral Painters) to be held at the Oxmarket Centre of Arts, Chichester, 21st May- 8th June with the exception of the bank holiday 26th May and it will be closed on Mondays.
This week
We have had beautiful weather, calm and sunny, I had my parents and Charlie come for lunch on mothering Sunday and I made a pretty good apple pie for puds'. Then we drove Charlie back to Brighton and actually sat on the beach sipping a G&T and watching the sun go down, lovely and very welcome after all the rain and hailstones. 
I was thinking we are so lucky to have such a beautiful world of wonderful plants to observe and paint, one of my passions is walking out and seeing what is popping up this time of year, so many things get passed by especially on the verges and now is the perfect time in the UK to familiarise yourself with the wild plants close to home. 
There is a wonderful group called Plantlife http://plantlife.org.uk/ I  found out about them when I was invited to teach a class for them as an activity on one of their annual get togethers at a reserve. The organisation works hard to protect the natural plantlife around us and show how they have a vital role in everyone's lives. Have a peek and see what they do.
I thought of plantlife and the wonderful work they do as I collected up the usual and sad build up of litter along the verge where I live, to free the daffodils concealed beneath the odd can or plastic bag, I am imagining we all do the same but where are the Wombles (you will need to click on the wombles word to see who I am talking about) when you need them?I was a very keen Wombler when young and actually had my own litter picking stick (a bamboo rod with a nail on the end) I hesitantly tell you this, as I am aware how strange this sounds but I loved going out with my dad and siblings and clearing a bit of woodland scrubland or beach; I am getting all misty eyed about it now. The truth is it was all about being outside and seeing the leaf buds, baby bracken curling up from the soil and so on and indeed saving the field mice from getting stuck in empty pop bottles. This latter fact was revealed to me on the kids programme 'Blue Peter' where they told use that mice climb into abandoned sticky bottles but can never get out due to the air in the bottle sucking them back in, it's too sad to think about. Any hoo I have saved a few mice and daffodils this week and seen the baby leaves about to burst forth, so all is good.
some favourite photos



2 comments: