Skip to main content
LEAVES and cartoon



Add some leaves to you sketch book there is a plethora burgeoning from all directions, with a rich choice of greens, blues and reds it's the perfect time to practice colour mixing. I use a warm yellow, cool yellow or lemon, a cool minty blue and a warm navy blue, a warm red and a cool pinky red. My preferred colours are Sennelier red, Sennelier rose madder, Sennelier Phthalocyanine blue, Sennelier french ultramarine, Sennelier yellow deep, Sennelier lemon yellow; with these six colours I find I can mix most if not all the greens on offer. Experiment with mixes and see what happens, if I am being teacher, mix a colour drop it into a water glaze and let it be, just watch and enjoy seeing what colour and texture matures. The ivy demo will give you ideas on techniques. Paint on scraps of best watercolour paper and then stick them into your sketch book.
On something completely different, below is the start of my cartoon commission, oh to wear hair like that.
A very Happy easter to you all, steady on the chocolate :).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June, Pinterest, and framing.

Dear lovely friends, it has been a varied month so far, the SBA show was my best so far, I sold 4 out of the 5 paintings and still feel a little giddy about it. The large painting called 'South facing wall' won the Suzanne Lucas memorial award (Suzanne was the founder president of the Society of Botanical Artists) and peoples choice, get me a chair!!! I thought the show was colourful and varied but we still need new and exciting artists to join the fold, so spread the word and encourage fellow artists to apply, most mediums are being considered.Any hoo, following up on family matters, in case you are following me, I did actually have to tolerate a party for Will and am recovering from a very late night after peeling drunken girls up from the floor at 2am in the morning; followed in the morning by a massive trip to the bottle bank, I am very concerned that the young'uns  drink so much and that's before they arrived at the party! I now miss the jelly and ice cream days. …

Nearly here!!

The all new Billy Showell website is nearly here, as with all things it has taken much longer than I thought but it is better than I had hoped. The book is in its final stages and the new dvd is in it's final production stage. I am of course just about dealing with all this and no doubt I will have overlooked something which I will be glad to hear from you if you think or spot something. What has been amazing is the encouragement from all over the world, I am suitably humbled, thank you. I did make one huge error with my 'sponsume' offers, I forgot about adding in the postal costs, so I will take a sizeable hit posting parcels to the US and Australia but one lives and I guess I will eventually learn. All sponsume gifts will be in the post within the next 2 weeks.
Any hoo, lovely people, below are the new class dates for Christmas and early spring  (email Julie classeswithbilly@gmail.com) and for those of you too far afield my new Subscription Channel will be launched in De…

Nearly February!!!

black petunias from last year's SBA show.
Dear Painterly Friends, I have had very little time this year so far to paint and when I do have time I will iron, clean, hoover, organise etc. etc. anything but paint. Infuriating as this is I eventually pick up the brush and then the phone rings or I check my email and then have to sort out work things.OOO LA LA, this is a problem added to that, one has to squeeze in a new year diet and exercise programme, it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic, the perpetual cycle of to do's. As I wrote to one lady recently 'my mind is like a washing machine, constantly turning, always clean, sometimes in a spin, always jumbled up and always with one sock missing'
But not this year, let it be known that I will endeavour to be a grown-up; surprised and amazed at how my sons are taking control of their lives and destiny, I am taking inspiration from them. Somehow I have brought up 2 men who talk with conviction and elegance and rather tha…