Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Nearly February!!!

black petunias from last year's SBA show.

Dear Painterly Friends, I have had very little time this year so far to paint and when I do have time I will iron, clean, hoover, organise etc. etc. anything but paint. Infuriating as this is I eventually pick up the brush and then the phone rings or I check my email and then have to sort out work things.

OOO LA LA, this is a problem added to that, one has to squeeze in a new year diet and exercise programme, it would be funny if it wasn't so tragic, the perpetual cycle of to do's. As I wrote to one lady recently 'my mind is like a washing machine, constantly turning, always clean, sometimes in a spin, always jumbled up and always with one sock missing'
But not this year, let it be known that I will endeavour to be a grown-up; surprised and amazed at how my sons are taking control of their lives and destiny, I am taking inspiration from them. Somehow I have brought up 2 men who talk with conviction and elegance and rather than working on the edge of chaos like their mother; they work out their lives in a calm and considered way, in a way that I can only dream of. Thank goodness their father's genes have risen to mould them and my doo-lally genes have been suppressed, long may that last. 

Such is my youngest son's extreme good sense, that when I said I may buy a scooter/ motorbike or such like, he said 'that in no way was I a fit person to undertake such a purchase, I can't even stay upright when climbing a gate', this is true and rather annoying that I appear so vulnerable (this link is not me I might add) to him but at least I could say back to him that he now knows how I feel about him having a motorbike. Yeah.
The online tutorials are ticking along and I am going to start working through the list of suggested project throughout February. My classes in the studio are filling fast and I am looking forward to students coming from Australia, Singapore and France. I am starting to feel a bit nervous actually and hope I do their journey justice.Wish me wings.

 Ps. This year I have been invited to be on the committee of the SBA for a one year trial and am hoping to be of use to them. It is an amazing show that they put on every year in April at the Westminster Central Hall, which by coincidence is where my final Fashion Degree show was held, many years ago, so it is a place that holds a lot of memories for me. They are looking for Businesses that would like to put their logo in our show catalog, it only costs £50 and the catalogues are kept for years so it is a great way to remind people of you business. If you know any company that might be interested in advertising in this years catalog then all you need to do is send their details to pam@soc-botanical-artists.org and she will know what to do.We are always looking for volunteers to help with the running of the show, stewards etc if you would like to be involved then do get in touch with me and i can forward your details to one of the ladies in charge, It is a great way to have time to really study the work and pick the brains of long standing SBA members.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are too hard on yourself. I am such a fan of your work, your teaching style, and well you. lol
    I completely know where you are coming from being an artist and teacher who tries to do it all as well, and you are right about being in the spin cycle most of the time. If I were you I would say, "Bravo Billy you have done a wonderful job"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to read your blog, and yes don't we all procrastinate, it's a woman thing. I'll just put the washing out before I go to craft/paint etc, then it's tea time ??? Your work is beautiful and had given me the confidence to pick up a paintbrush again after many years . Loved the washing machine analogy too .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Billy, I’m so relieved to know that I am not the only creatively dizzy procrastinator out there. It's amazing, the more I have to do and the closer the deadlines are, the more 'things' I volunteer for and activities - ceramics/knitting/cleaning, etc, plus agreements and plans I manage to squeeze in! You'd think I'd learn? Well it doesn't seem so - and I'm only just 'slightly' older than you? Anyway, please keep up the good work, you too are an inspiration to me and love your painting style. I feel the washing machine metaphor is rather than a 'woman thing' it's a creative thing and without it maybe you wouldn't be the painter you are! Now there's food for thought or else-wise some fuel to the fire............?

    ReplyDelete

  4. Ankara'nın en iyi broşür dağıtım şirketi olan
    ankara broşür dağıtım hizmette
    sinir tanimiyor...

    ReplyDelete